Monday, June 7, 2010

Sourdough success

I succeeded in making my first loaf of sourdough bread on the weekend using my 10 day old sourdough starter that I mentioned in a previous post.

Fresh out of the oven

I attempted to follow the directions from sourdoughbaker.com.au and it didn't really go to plan. Despite not matching the instructional pictures at any stage, once out of the oven it looked like a proper sourdough and had a solid crust. Most importantly it tasted awesome. Strangely one loaf was quite salty. Have to work on my kneading technique :)

The starter a few hours after refeeding


BAD NEWS FOR VIOLENCE-FREE EATERS

Some of you may have seen or heard about a story on a current affair last week profiling a new product called quorn.  The quorn company is evil beyond comprehension. All of their "mycoprotein" (a fungus product they claim is similar to mushrooms, truffles and, don't forget, athlete's foot) products contain animal secretions, or eggs and dairy products in animal abuser speak.  In the U.K, Quorn has basically crushed all of their opposition out of the supermarkets, buying out all the shelf and freezer space where vegan friendly foods once resided. In fact I would say it is easier to get redwoods products in Melbourne than in London or other big cities. This was certainly the case when I was there in 2008.

The ACA story shows that quorn are ready to splash the cash around in promoting their product and this is bad news for the animals, vegans and all potential vegans i.e. everybody.  If your local woolworths/safeway is not stocking Frys products, you should contact them regularly to encourage them to begin stocking it. Even though I like to buy most of my vegan meats from Radical Grocery, I like to buy something from Safeway every few weeks to continue creating a demand for the Frys products. This small effort will help make the transition from violence-based eating that much easier for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment