Thanks to my Swedish friends, over at veganfitness.net, I discovered that delicato balls are just a commercial version of the Swedish treat, chokladboll. Armed with a recipe, I whipped up a quick batch a couple of nights ago. I took some to work, where they went down quite well, and opened the floodgates for a days worth of jokes about balls.
- 3 1/4 cups oats
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tbsp cocoa (I used cacao powder)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla sugar (I used the Hoyts brand) or 1 tsp vanilla extract, added with the coffee
- 2/3 cup margarine (nutellex)
- 6 Tbsp cold coffee
- flaked coconut
- Mix oats (Instant Oats will give a better texture and flavor and is recommended), sugar, vanilla sugar, and cocoa in a large bowl.
- Using your hands or a potato masher, incorporate the margarine into the dry ingredients until the dough has an even consistency.
- Add the coffee and mix until incorporated.
- Fill a small bowl with flaked coconut.
- With your hands, roll the dough into 3 cm diameter balls.
- Roll each ball in the coconut or pearl sugar and place on a tray.
- Chill chocolate balls for at least one hour before serving.
Required soundtrack: Anything by Roxette