Monday, October 25, 2010

Tofu fingers with tartar sauce

My fridge is full of tofu at the moment because I just can't resist buying the joyco "nigari hard tofu" as it's so cheap and stuffed with protein (55 grams per pack).





With so much of it available to me, I knew that I had to make a tofu dish for the BBQ potluck. The vegan table came to the rescue with it's "Tofu filet with cornmeal crust and tartar sauce". I did a practice run on Friday and it went well, so I made it again on Saturday.


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup polenta
  • 3 teaspoons mixed herbs (thyme, rosemary, marjoram, basil, oregano and sage)
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1 cup vegan milk
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 1 block joyco tofu (325 grams)

Mix all the dry ingredients together and in another bowl whisk the mustard into your vegan milk.

Cut tofu into 1cm slices and heat oil in a frying pan.

Dip tofu into vegan milk and dredge in the flour mixture. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side until perfectly brown and crispy (just like in the photo).



For the tartar sauce, mix in finely chopped parsley, pickles and capers into some vegan mayonnaise. I used the Praise 97% fat-free mayonnaise.

Check out K's write up of the potluck to see pictures of all the great stuff other folks made and of my sweet cornbread.

3 comments:

  1. Gee, I love tartare sauce! And it's such a treat to have a (mostly) homemade batch. Thanks for bringing these along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so yummo and great to have another use for polenta. I still can't believe I didn't get a pic of it, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tofu tonight & it was really good - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete