Friday, October 29, 2010

Swedish Chocolate balls

Any vegan who has been to Sweden, or has met a Swedish vegan, is familiar with Delicato balls and their chocolatey, coconutty goodness. Alas, these seem to be unavailable outside of Sweden. Not even at IKEA.


Thanks to my Swedish friends, over at veganfitness.net, I discovered that delicato balls are just a commercial version of the Swedish treat, chokladboll. Armed with a recipe, I whipped up a quick batch a couple of nights ago. I took some to work, where they went down quite well, and opened the floodgates for a days worth of jokes about balls.

Ingredients

  • 3 1/4 cups oats
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 6 tbsp cocoa (I used cacao powder)
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla sugar (I used the Hoyts brand) or 1 tsp  vanilla extract, added with the coffee
  • 2/3 cup margarine (nutellex)
  • 6 Tbsp  cold coffee
  • flaked coconut

Method 

  • Mix oats (Instant Oats will give a better texture and flavor and is recommended), sugar, vanilla sugar, and cocoa in a large bowl.
  • Using your hands or a potato masher, incorporate the margarine into the dry ingredients until the dough has an even consistency.
  • Add the coffee and mix until incorporated.
  • Fill a small bowl with flaked coconut.
  • With your hands, roll the dough into 3 cm diameter balls.
  • Roll each ball in the coconut or pearl sugar and place on a tray.
  • Chill chocolate balls for at least one hour before serving.


Required soundtrack: Anything by Roxette 

3 comments:

  1. Roxette??!!!!! I double dare you Ace Of Base.
    You should sell it in front of IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ace of Base? Don't make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I had these things in Sweden and was hooked.
    I'm going to try his recipe, thank you.

    ReplyDelete